2.13.2012

Big Changes

We are back in Chicago after a whirlwind of a trip out to Los Angeles.

We were able to fit in a few fun things, like hiking and checking out Zoe Hart's bedroom...

But, to be honest with you, this trip to LA was more for business than pleasure.

We had a few things we needed to do...

Like find an apartment to live in.

And, no, not for a vacation home.

An apartment for our home because in the next 2 weeks, Joel and I will be living in California permanently. *or for the next 2-3 years


.....


I've been a big, bad, lying, blogging girlfriend, and I'm sorry for not looping you all in earlier. Let me give you the deets.

When we came back from Mexico after our Christmas trip, Joel started the daunting task of looking for new jobs. Coincidentally, a friend of his who moved in NYC for a job promotion in December, emailed him asking  if he would be interested in working for his company. The two positions he had available were in NYC and Los Angeles. After talking with me, we decided it couldn't hurt for Joel to at least interview for the job position in California....since New York is not our cup of tea.

After weeks of interviews, lots of wine, and too many "what if conversations", he got the job.
We hadn't told anyone except for my family that Joel was pursuing this opportunity. Moving was not on our radar, let alone anyone else's. We decided not to tell anyone because why rock the boat if we didn't need to...but then, when the official offer came in, I had to drop a bomb on my best friends and my extended family.

It obviously wasn't easy.....

and it's still not easy.

I'm leaving my job (today, actually....so please say a prayer for me) and the movers are coming to pick up all of our things this weekend. Joel will be traveling for the next two weeks, and on February 29th, my mom, aunt, and myself, are driving my car cross country to start my new life out in Los Angeles.

I don't have a job lined up yet, but I will find one. I don't have that many friends out there, but I will find them. I don't know the neighborhood, but I'll figure it out. And everything else, is honestly a bit of a shitshow.


These next 2 weeks will be spent packing, sleeping on couches, saying goodbye, and preparing to start a new chapter. Sometimes I'm excited, sometimes I'm scared, sometimes I'm sad, but it's an adventure.....and we're going for it.


So, here goes nothing!

21 comments:

  1. OMG! That is so exciting! This is one of my favorite quotes and it is perfect for you and Joel! "Do you want to be safe and good, or do you want to take a chance and be great?" And I am totally okay, with coming to visit you in Cali instead of Chicago! Really so so happy for you!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so brave, and are in for an adventure! This is one of the reasons why blogging is so great ~ I look forward to keeping up with your time in sunny Cali!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome, awesome, awesome!!! This is the perfect time in your life to do something like this! I quit my job last year (hardest day ever!) to move with my boyfriend, so I know what you are going through. Enjoy it, though! It's so fun to be young and free :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting for you! Looking forward to reading all about your new adventure in California :) So jealous you get to cut your winter short!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that is big! I'm so excited for this next chapter in your life!! Saying a nice big prayer for you today!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. bless your heart--deep breaths!! i think this is a ONCE in a lifetime opportunity though so absolutely go for it...and LA def has some perks, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! Exciting! I can't believe you are moving before we get to meet! Sad! I know it will be great though! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! It is official. LA is a crazy place to live, but I wouldn't live anywhere else at this point in my life. Westwood is amazing. You will enjoy living there. I can't wait to meet you in person:) You are in my thoughts as you go through this transition. I know how wonderful/intense/sad/exciting it can be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! This is amazing news, congrats to you both! Good luck vibes, prayers and safe travels are all being sent your way. What an exciting time!

    If you need a packing break, Ill be in Chitown this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations!!! What an exciting new chapter to start! Cannot wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What is life without adventure! You will really enjoy it out here I think. If you ever want to venture down to Orange County I'd be very glad to meet you over vino!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So exciting! Have a blast girl, being able to do such a big move is rare. Both of our degrees have us hog tied to Louisiana.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my goodness what news! Congrats on this amazing adventure you are taking!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sad you're leaving Chicago, but I'm so excited for you -- it's going to be a great journey & you'll have such a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is SOME news girl! I'm sure it'll be scary and hard at first, but I'm sure you'll come to enjoy it. Who wouldn't enjoy that sun?! And now is definitely the time to be out living your lives. I'll be praying for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welll... you are one brave girl! I am so excited for you and can't wait to hear all about your new adventure. This will be good reading material for me as my bf is in the process of job hunting and.. you never know where that might lead...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am SO EXCITED for you! Not going to lie, I've been stalking your blog a bit waiting to hear about this haha. Does that make me a creep? Good luck with the move! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, this is SO exciting!! What an adventure! I absolutely LOVE California.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow that is awesome! What a big fun adventure!!

    These kinds of life events always turn out good in my opinion. It's so fun to pick up and try something totally new. Good for you!

    Can't wait to read all about it. So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ahhhhh! What a whirlwind couple of weeks it's been for you! I can't believe I missed all of this. Well congrats on moving to California, that's really incredible! And I'm so, so sorry to hear about your aunt. That is just devastating news. I will be thinking about you and all that you have going on! xo

    ReplyDelete