10.16.2014

Cheesy Veggie Chowder

Over the summer I pinned all sorts of soup recipes to try out once the weather got cooler here in LA and so far, I'm coming up roses! I used this recipe as my base and made a few minor adjustments (like more cheese, obviously)

This soup is really simple, really easy, and tastes really close to Panera's Broccoli Cheddar soup, but with a fraction of the bad stuff)

Enjoy!




The Goods:
2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrot
1 celery bunch, chopped
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
4 cups chicken broth
2 large russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1.5 tbsp flour
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup milk (or a bit more if it's not thick enough)
2 cups chopped broccoli
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, and some for topping


Directions: 
1. Chop celery, carrots, and onion. Saute over butter and add garlic after 2-3 minutes.


2. Add chicken broth and cubed potatoes, bring to a boil. 
  

3. Mix flour with water, stir and then mix to thicken. Simmer for 10 minutes.

4. Add milk, broccoli, and cheese. 


5. At this point, I shut off the burners to let the flavors chill for about 2 hours (*this is not necessary). When we were ready to eat dinner, I simmered the soup, added more cheese and milk, a heavy dash of salt and pepper and voila!

6 comments:

  1. I've made a soup every week for the past 3 weeks and am loving having something comforting to come home to. This one looks so yummy but easy to whip up! Hope your having a great week love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have to make this tonight my husband would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love making soups in the fall and winter and I LOVE the Panera broccoli and cheese. I am going to try this next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at...it taste like Panera :)

    ReplyDelete