I'm not a fan of zucchini - unless its baked into bread (and served with butter)- but I actually really, really liked it in this recipe.
The entire dinner tastes very indulgent, but is pretty low-cal, hearty, and filling, and held up well for lunch the next day too. All important qualities for meals around here.
I used this recipe as my base.
- 6 zucchinis
- Olive oil
- 1lb ground turkey
- Homemade taco seasoning
- 3 cups total of shredded cheese
- 1/4c of cream cheese
- 1 Bunch of cilantro
- Red Enchilada sauce
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 and slice zucchinis in half. You will want to scoop out the insides. I use a knife first to outline and then use a spoon to scrape. Place in a 9x13 dish, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and bake for 30 minutes
2. Brown ground turkey and heavily season with taco seasonings.
3. Mix ground turkey, 2 cups of shredded cheese, cream cheese, and half the diced cilantro in a bowl. Then, fill zucchini boats with mixture, top with enchilada sauce, remaining cheese and cilantro.
at this point, I had more stuffing than I did zucchini's so I put all of the extra stuffing around the boats.
4. Bake boats for another 15-20mins, or until bubbling
I served ours with refried black beans which paired really well! Hope you enjoy!