8.02.2018

California Recap

We had a good friend get married in Malibu this past weekend, and sort of last minute, decided we would take advantage of Drew being a free flyer, and bring her along for the ride. 

She hadn't met a lot of our family and friends out in California, and I figured it would be easier for my parents to just keep Leo while we were gone, so it was sort of a win-win. 


Thankfully our friends in California have everything we needed - strollers, pack and plays, etc. so I shipped out some diapers and food, and we took our small carry-on's and went to LA for a quick weekend getaway. 


The flight to LA, we gave Drew a B+. She slept a bit, ate a bit, was a happy for a bit, and fussed for a bit. The flight time to LA from Chicago is closer to 4 hours, so it's a long ride, but for all things considered, she did well, and I had a few mimosas so I didn't really mind either way. ;) 


My best friend in LA, Shelby, picked us up at LAX and then we decided to hit up the grocery store and In'N'Out for a quick lunch.

I bathed Drew, let her crawl around for a bit, and then hit the ground running and went to happy hour at our old favorite wine bar Esters. 



We met up with my cousins Erin and Danny, who just had a baby a few weeks ago and then the six of us went to dinner at Cassia. We sat outside, Drew took a catnap in Baby Emmett's bassinet, and then Joel was nice enough to take her home so I could hang out with everyone for one more drink after dinner.


Drew never really adjusted to the time change, so she was always up before 6...but we are both pretty early risers so it didn't matter too much. Joel went out for a run, and then Shelby and I started the day at our old favorite yoga studio for Sculpt. 


We came home, showered, and then headed to the Westfield Century Mall. I used to go to this mall three or four times a week. It was me and Leo's spot. It's an outdoor mall, was always very stroller friendly, but right before we moved, they closed it down for a MAJOR overhaul. It is SO beautiful now, and Javier's (a really great Mexican restaurant in Newport Beach) opened up, so we went there for lunch.


A maragrita at lunch signifies vacation to me. 

 
 
 
When we got home, Joel had some work to do, so Shelby and I snuck away for a thai foot massage. They have a few foot spas here in Chicago, but I have never been, and they're SO good in LA (and only $35!). 


After the massage, we visited with our girlfriend Juli who came by for a beer and then we headed to our friend Brent and Dawn's for the evening.

 

 


They were so nice to host everyone and their kids for dinner - and it was probably the most fun night of the entire trip, because it truly felt like old times. 

 


Drew fell asleep at their house, so we stayed late on the deck, opened a few too many bottles of wine, and just had the best time. 

Saturday morning Joel went for a long mountain run with his old running group, and Shelby and I decided to do the Santa Monica stairs....except I had to do them with Drew strapped into the Ergo.


And no joke, my calves are still sore. 

We went to lunch on Saturday at Plan Check for Joel's favorite burger in LA, and then spent the rest of the afternoon hanging at Shelbys and watching our babies play together.


Saturday afternoon, we had a babysitter come to the house so that we could head up to Malibu for our friends wedding.


The wedding was spectacular - and it was so much fun to see all of our old friends. 

 





Somehow, Sunday morning arrived bright and early, and we were on the first flight out of Los Angeles. 


As sad as I was to leave, I was so ready to get home to Leo. He did fantastic, but finally on Sunday when I facetimed him from the airport, he asked me to bring his sister home. 

1 comment:

  1. What a nice trip! That wedding looked STUNNING. And where did you get your dress from?!

    ReplyDelete