When we were on our babymoon, each morning started with a latte, banana, and the absolute best bran muffin I have ever had.
The muffin itself, while sounding healthy, wasn't, but I just haven't been able to get that breakfast combo out of my mind.
I used my mom's bran muffin recipe, made a few adjustments, and have been making these healthier breakfast muffins every week since we've been back from our vacation.
What you need:
Makes 12 large muffins
2 cups of All Bran cereal **My target didn't have All-Bran so I've been using Grape Nuts cereal1
1 1/4 cup skim milk
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4c vegetable oil
1 heaping cup of shredded carrots
1/2 cup of raisins *could do cranberries or golden raisinns as well
What you do:
1. In the mixing bowl, combine cereal and milk and let stand for a few minutes
2. Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt
3. Add egg and oil and beat well
4. Mix in raisins and carrots
5. Add flour mixture and stir until combined (it'll be very lumpy)
6. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes
Best served warm with a banana and latte