11.28.2016

Thanksgiving Recap

Wednesday morning we were up bright and early to head to San Diego to celebrate the holiday with Joel's entire family. His oldest brother and their three kids flew into town with my in-laws, so after a few days in Disney, the plan was to celebrate Thanksgiving together and hang out in SD.

Leo is actually a really good car rider - but my mom bought him this little tray for our road trip to Arizona this week - and it turned out to be really handy for him to have breakfast on. It's not a necessity, but it proved to be pretty fun for him to play with too. Our JJ.Cole ipad holder, is however, a necessity.


I also just bought this since we are clocking so many hours in the car recently - and I'll let you know what I think. I can't stand a messy car, so I'm hoping this helps.

Back Seat Organizer - With Tablet Holder - Premium Multipurpose Travel Accessory for Your Vehicle - Toy Organizer, Kick Mat and Entertainment Unit - By Mio Child

When we got to San Diego, we pretty much got right to work prepping for Turkey day!

 
It is so fun watching all of the cousins play together. Leo is (currently, and not for long) the youngest of the crew, and he just adores watching the big kids. 


I had been sick all week prior to Wednesday, and Leo had been punky, but by Wednesday night, a cold hit him full speed and at dinner that night. We put him in his pack and play before 6pm and crossed our fingers he would be ok for the next day. 

Since he was sick - and I was still down too - Leo and I stayed home from our annual Turkey Trot. It's the first time I've missed it in more than 10 years, but Joel dominated and took home the 12th place, so I was glad he still went out there and ran for the fam. 

Leo seemed good on Motrin, so we decided to stay and enjoy the day with the family. The boys took the kids to the park and us girls got busy on lots of appetizers and mimosas. 

 

Dinner pulled together despite the chaos all around us that day - and the Shields fam had a wonderful and delicious Thanksgiving.
 

I feel incredibly lucky to love my entire in-law family as much as I do. We all have so much fun together and actually enjoy spending as much time together as we can. It's pretty rare to get as lucky as we did - and I'm so thankful for them. 
 

Unfortunately, that night was not fun for us! Leo was up the entire night and we decided to drive back home super early Friday morning. It burned to cut our fun early, but we needed the weekend at home to recoup and get back to feeling good.


We're on the mend.....just in time for our next adventure to Scottsdale for a family friends wedding!


3 comments:

  1. Ugh sorry Leo didn't feel good while y'all were traveling. That's the worst. Have fun this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite being sick it looks like a good time with family! So glad you guys are on the mend. I was sick all last week and I'm finally feeling better today, fingers crossed we can all stay healthy through Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Leo is feeling better and you all have recovered. That is brutal. Let me know how you like the organizer. We should probably get something like that because we do at least a short trip usually at least once a week!

    ReplyDelete