8.21.2017

Weekend recap

This was a big weekend around here since today is Joel's 30th birthday!!!!!!!!


We decided to take Friday night really easy which was super smart. Friday morning, Joel got in a birthday run (a 30k!) and I got up a little early to get the house and Leo ready for a day without us! I dropped Leo off at my parents house for the morning, picked up some Starbucks for Joel and I, and then headed into the city with his parents for the Cubs game.


This was our first Cubs game of the season and it did not disappoint. We had great seats, we were in the shade the entire time, the Cubs won in a fun, 4-3 game, and it just so happened to be the Air and Water show, so we also got an awesome 2 for 1 show of that too!


After the game we sat at The Butcher on Southport to let the crowds die down before we took an uber back to Bucktown (where we parked. We had dinner at one of our favorite BYOB sushi spots, Coast, and had a phenomenal dinner. Joel brought a nice bottle of wine, his parents were super adventurous with trying all of the sushi we ordered and we all had just a perfect day. 

Sunday morning, Joel had a pretty ideal at home birthday. He got up early and picked up donuts from our favorite place to start the day.


He wanted to get a run in, so Leo and I decided to join him on the bike. I don't know if it was the donut breakfast, but I was cruising fast, so we ended up doing six or seven miles around the lake fast (for me, and Joel who was running)...and like under 6 minute miles! 


Our bike ride ended at my parents for lunch, and my sisters and their boyfriends came in from the city to celebrate with us too.

After lunch, we took the boat and paddle boards out for an afternoon on the lake. 


We all had a blast getting out on the paddles - and even Leo got some time in the middle of the lake and riding on the paddle which was really fun. 


Joel and I took Leo home for a late nap around 3, and then everyone came back to our house a little after 4pm to grill out and have dinner together. 


After a cookie cake and present opening celebration, my sisters headed back into the city, we watched a few episodes of Modern Family, and called it a day.


It's not as fun when your real birthday falls on a Monday, but Leo and I are going to head to Joel's office to take him out to lunch, and then his parents will join us for enchiladas (Joel's request), for dinner tonight. 

Joel is a very, very loved guy around these parts. He's a steady, hard working, and loving 30 year old, and I am so thankful to walk along life with him by my side. 

4 comments:

  1. Happy 30th to Joel! Yall celebrated right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun weekend you had! Happy bday to Joel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so fun!!! Happy Birthday Joel. What a fun weekend with the family! I love that ya'll have a lake so close and get to go pontooning. Pontoon boats are our favorite!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so impressed you made that cookie cake!

    ReplyDelete