1.09.2018

Keeping Toddlers Busy

I'm hoping that I can share a few things that have saved our lives - and hoping that you can provide a few that may have saved yours. I remember reading quite a few blogs about "busy boxes" for baby when baby #2 is nursing, and these items are our version. 

"You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance." -Franklin P. Jones #parentquotes

Leo is very used to getting out of the house, having daily activities, and at the very least getting to the gym or getting into the stroller. Also, not because I'm against it but we're not big TV watchers yet**. I don't like to have the TV on during the day, and Leo doesn't know much different, so we just don't do a lot of TV or iPad time. I know the day will come but since we don't use either currently, they aren't a big help to us.

When we had baby Drew, the temperatures dropped below any normal level so any even little outside time we thought we were going to bank on, was out the window We haven't left the house much, and when we have, Leo's grandparents have taken him to Barnes and Noble just to get out for a bit. 

We are all going stir crazy, and really, more than anything on this list, we have held it together with the enormous amount of help we have received (thank you grandparents!) but even an hour or two of a bored toddler can feel like 63 hours moving at a very slow pace, so we've built an arsenal of what's been helpful and whats filled our time, and I thought I'd share. 

 

almost all of these can be found on Amazon, but I've had luck at TJ.Maxx/Home Goods and Target too!

And I really think I'm going to buy stock in Melissa and Doug. 

Water Wow Books: These are amazing. I have a few everywhere. They're great for restaurants too because they're small and you only need a touch of water. I love them and so does Leo. 

Reuseable stickers: These have been a huge hit for us, and Leo will spend a ton of time playing with them. I store all of the stickers in a zip lock bag that he can open and close himself which helps keep stickers from ending up everywhere. 


Jumbo Coloring Books: For whatever reason, the big books seem to hold Leo's attention for a lot longer. We got this jumbo book above as a gift and he loves it, and just today I was at Target and bought another cheap Cars one for a rainy day. 


Jumbo crayons: On that note, the jumbo crayons are way better for us. They don't brake nearly as easy, so Leo can keep a tight grip on them without a million crayon pieces ending up on the floor. 

The Mini Melissa and Doug puzzles: Leo is a big fan of puzzles, loves the ones that make noise too, but we got this set of 4 mini puzzles for Christmas and it has quickly become his favorite. I think he likes the fact that they're are a lot of small pieces for him to manipulate - and I like the fact that the puzzles have a cute little home, so this one is one of the few toys that stay out in our living room.

Matching Games: Both sets of Grandma's gifted Leo these for Christmsa this year and they've been a huge hit. Leo is currently liking the Dinosaur matching game a little bit better than the shapes and colors, but both are well suited for a 2 year old and I just found a letters one at TJs that I grabbed for when he is a little older. 


Baby Stella: I would also suggest getting a stroller for Baby Stella as well, but Leo has really taken to Baby Stella. He likes to take her for walks, has fun with all of the accessories that magnet to her mouth, and if he is sort of nagging me while I'm nursing, I like to encourage him to find baby Stella and check her diaper, or what have you, so that he feels like he can take care of a baby at the same time I am. 

MagnaTiles: Leo is a touch young for these, but I thought I would include them on the list anyhow because they make for a great gift and it's something I know will help us in the months ahead. I actually cleared out a drawer in one of the side tables in our living room to house these guys, so it's been a fun activity to do at night when Joel comes home. They're pricey but they're indestructible.

Play-doh: We have used this for when I'm pumping and need Leo somewhat contained. I just plop him in his high chair and this can easily buy me 15 minutes. 

---

I'd love to hear a few of your indoor lifesavers. My neighbor was telling me about indoor sand that her daughter got for Christmas that isn't messy and has been a really fun indoor activity, so I might look for that in the next coming weeks too.

We are getting tons of use of our unfinished basement right now as well. Leo is happy as a clam to chase his balls down there, ride his new Y-bike, play in his fire truck car, and just run around. 


I've sort of been playing with the idea of finding him a small trampoline, or an indoor slide that he can use down there too - so if you have favorite basement activities, send them my way too! 

Much.Most.Darling.: At Home DIY Coffee Bar Station + Free mom life Printables  May your coffee be stronger than your newborn baby babies toddler, toddlers, kids free printable

7 comments:

  1. We love those sticker books, Play Doh and Baby Stella too! Keeping a toddler entertained is sometimes a tough job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so helpful and it never occurred to me to keep the reusable stickers in a ziploc. Ahh, so smart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had not thought to put the reusable stickers in a Ziploc - thank you! We had a toddler-size bounce house - I think by Little Tikes, around $100 - that we would blow up in our toy room. Perfect for cold or rainy days. Our littles loved it - could bounce and slide and run around it like crazies. It kept them contained and entertained! They have outgrown it now (almost 5 and 6) but it was wonderful while it lasted :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great list and lots of stuff I've never thought of! Definitely getting some reusable stickers and why have I never bought jumbo crayons before?! Oliver won't play with anything for too long but he does love his easel on the chalk side and Duplo Legos. Tell me about Baby Stella. Is it something I should get Oliver before the new baby comes?

    ReplyDelete
  5. https://www.toysrus.com/product?productId=18680946&source=CAPLA_DF:18680946:TRUS&cagpspn=plat_3ED6FE43&camp=PLAPPCG-_-PID3ED6FE43:TRUS&gclid=Cj0KCQiA7dHSBRDEARIsAJhAHwifIPNBNawDallV0FOkMyjViF8azfqg7A3-RX4u5QN1g37U-gdpCX8aAnJ1EALw_wcB


    We had this in our den when my little boy was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good ideas all around. Sometimes, I would hide a few of SS' dolls or small toys around her room or the baby nursery, and while I was feeding the baby, I would have her hunt for the items. Then if she found them before we were finished, I would close my eyes and have her hide them. It bought me some time! You are doing great!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great ideas and will help me when I need gifts for my two young grandsons, who are three years old and 18 months old. We bought magna tiles for our oldest grandson for Christmas and my husband and he had great fun with them.

    ReplyDelete