1.04.2018

The First Two Weeks

To be honest - these last two weeks, overall, have been great.


I have much preferred the 2nd time mom thing - all of the fearful thoughts, anxieties, emotions and hormones are still there (for me, at least) - but I have found peace (at times) knowing that they do slow down, that eventually they do go away, and life does have a way of getting back to normal eventually.


And because of that, everything has moved onward and upward at a much quicker pace than it did with my first baby.


Really, everything has been faster.


We left the hospital faster, my milk came in faster, Drew nurses faster, she has gained weight faster, I've healed faster, we bathed her faster, we've figured her out a little faster, we've gotten into a tiny groove faster, and most of all......time seems to be moving faster.


Of course, because babies can't just be a cake walk, the issue with 2nd time mom-ing is you have one older kid.

Add a new sibling, Christmas, tons of presents, treats, and lack of schedule with zero outside activities because its freaking freezing, having your dad home for two weeks, and your mom not being able to do much because she is nursing a baby and recovering from a C-section = some trouble.

We've heard "no" more than ever, we are seeing lots more opposition (even to fun things), we're not eating well, we're using more attitude then ever, AND we climbed out of the crib for the first time.

All things I've been assured 100x over are totally normal, somewhat get better, and are just par for the course.

But they still suck. And I miss my relationship with Leo too. It's been a tough 4 weeks for us, and not being able to hold him or play with him like we are used to is heartbreaking. 

But that will pass too.


So, that's where we stand two weeks in. We're getting by, we're having some fun, we're adjusting, and we're so, so thankful. 

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on baby Drew! The second baby adjustment for us was significantly easier than I was anticipating, I think because that first time around it you have to relearn how to do absolutely everything with a baby in tow. Good luck with the adjustment for Leo. I know for us it took a solid four months for life to even out for our oldest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drew is absolutely precious! I'm sure adjusting to not being with Leo as much has been hard. I can't imagine that. Glad to hear the adjusting to a baby for round two is easier than round one. You are a rockstar Mama! You know it gets easier, that must provide a lot of comfort! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is so precious!! Seriously, the hardest part about having the second is not having as much QT with the first born anymore. It's such a tough transition and he is old enough to know something major is changing. He will adjust eventually! Hang in there mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're getting back to, or finding, your new "normal" faster! She looks just like Leo to me! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2nd time around was better for me too! You look fabulous and Drew is precious! Glad to hear you are doing well (mentally and physically!) Agree 100% that the baby is easy! It is the big kid that you worry about this time. It all gets better as you get settled in. Big hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So precious!!! I'm so glad things are going well and she couldn't be cuter!! Leo will adjust in no time even though I know its so hard right now. Way to go Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! I love reading about your second time mom perspective because looking at my 5 month old first baby boy I have a hard time wrapping my mind around two- even though he's the sweetest and I'd have a 100 of him hah.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous baby and family!!! I can only imagine how fast time goes by with 2! I feel like its is zooming with 1! So happy for y'all!

    ReplyDelete