10.24.2011

Soup Sunday

Typically on Sunday nights, especially during the fall and winter months, Sunday dinner usually consists of chili or soup. 

I'm collecting a lot of different soup recipe's from blogs and Pintrest, but I knew I had to try  New Mom in Chicago's Lasagna soup asap.

The recipe is courtesy of

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 pound Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
1 onion, chopped --> I used 1/2
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (32-ounce) container chicken broth
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper --> I tripled this
4 ounces broken whole-wheat lasagna noodles (about 4 noodles) -->I used white noodles, and 6
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded mozzarella cheese


Directions:  
Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a deep pot. Add the sausage, onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is crumbled and browned, 8 – 10 minutes.  


Add the broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, salt, and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the flavors are blended, about 20 minutes. 

 

Add the noodles; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the soup thickens slightly and the noodles are tender, 10 – 12 minutes. 
Remove from the heat; stir in mozzarella, basil, and the Parmesan. 

Serve.


 

Enjoy! 

4 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! I've never heard of lasanga soup, but I think it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! I've seen a few different recipes for lasagna soup. I definitely want to make some. I'm trying to hold out until winter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. o my goodness this looks delicious!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete