3.01.2013

Friday Thoughts

 disclaimer: This is more like one long winded, random but semi-useful thought.

I'm still getting back to normal after my shower last weekend. It went by in such a flurry, I can't believe it's over. Luckily I've got 3 more in the wake!! <

Most people that know me, know that I travel often and don't love the actual traveling part.

 get away

Now, that I live in California and all of my friends and family live in Chicago, and I'm getting married in Wisconsin, and honeymooning in Hawaii, and have a sister in Mexico, and...... well, the long and short of it is that I'm on a friggen plane every month. To be honest, I don't mind flying but I hate turbulence. If turbulence is bad, and lasts longer than ten or fifteen minutes, I start to go crazy. My anxiety completely overtakes my body and I am like an absolute, certifiable, loon.

So, Monday morning, my mom dropped me off at the airport bright and early and I boarded my Virgin America flight back to LAX. It wasn't a full flight so I had the entire row to myself. For most people, this is a bonus, but I tend to gauge my calmness (and sanity) on the people sitting next to me and on my lonesome, I knew I could unravel quickly.

There was a huge snowstorm expected to plow Chicago on Tuesday and we had to fly directly in it to get home to LA.

The first 30 minutes of the flight were rocky and we just couldn't seem to get to smooth air. The flight attendants didn't start cart service and I slowly began to seriously lose it. After forty minutes the turbulence started to get worse and I just couldn't control myself anymore, I finally bing-ed for a flight attendant - not sure exactly what I was planning on telling them.

The flight attendant, a guy, came over and crouched down to find me half in tears. He brought me a ginger-ale, told me it was normal, and said he would be back soon. Two minutes later a woman flight attendant popped right on down and sat in the open seat next to me. She said, "I hear you're a little nervous", and for the next thirty minutes small talked with me, held my hand, and reassured my every concern. 

After that thirty minutes, another flight attendant switched spots with her and took his turn sitting next to crazy ass me. Then, Jamie - the 1st flight attendant - came back with a mimosa for me, and before I knew it, we had gotten through the storm.

 Inspiration

For the rest of the flight, the crew checked in on me every twenty minutes, even asking if I wanted them to sit next to me for landing. I was so taken back by their kindness that when I landed I honestly called my mom in tears.

They had no reason to be so patient and kind with me, but they were. It was Monday morning, and I'm sure that last thing they wanted to deal with was an Adult Baby, but they did. They went out of their way to make sure that I was comfortable, felt safe, and had an enjoyable experience. They didn't get any extra money out of the deal, no perks, not even a fun gold star.

And, they probably don't even know how thankful I was for their company that morning.

I don't really know why I felt compelled to share this story, but it just reminded me that there are some really special people in this world. I'll never forget these flight attendants acts of kindness - even if it all it was was a free mimosa and a conversation to distract me for forty minutes.

It's a good lesson and I want to try and be a little more like them.

the true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is looking

13 comments:

  1. Wow talk about great customer service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should totally call Virgin America and report your good experience. Or maybe just send them this post in an email?

    I bet it'd get back to that crew and a good way to pay it forward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally relate to flying often, not hating actually flying but freaking out if there is turbulance. Benadryl is a good friend to me. Or wine. That is so sweet of those flight attendants. I remember once talking to a flight attendant bc we were going through a mess and he told me something that stuck with me. He said when the wings are moving up and down (haha i know!) that just means the clouds are bumping around and holding the plane up. Not sure why but it helped that time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this story and I love hearing about people's kindness and patience. No one likes turbulence and as I've gotten older flying makes me more nervous than it ever did as a kid. I'm glad to know there are crews like this! Plus a mimosa always helps ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. bless your heart!!! we all have stuff like that and i hear you on the turbulence...it's so freaking scary!!

    so glad you got some great help though to ease your mind through the flight sweetie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely reach out to Virgin America about this. Everyone always complains about a bad experience, so a good experience you send their way will certainly get back to them. Include your flight number, those people will hear your thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love hearing such encouraging stories like these. You definitely don't hear a lot about the good experiences anymore. I also suggest you write Virgin and let them know about your amazing experience.

    Turbulence is definitely scary. I hate it too. So don't EVER fly from Colorado Springs to Denver or vice versa, since that's what the flight is the entire way due to the mountains. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your story made my day! Random acts of kindness are so often overlooked.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great story...reminds me that it's time for me to do an anonymous act of kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this! As someone who can relate on occasionally being a little anxious in the air, I can really appreciate what kind people they were. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this! As someone who can relate on occasionally being a little anxious in the air, I can really appreciate what kind people they were. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Flight attendants are the best!

    ReplyDelete