2.05.2014

Family Fun

Joel's parents flew into town last Thursday night and from the time they landed in LA we were non-stop.

On Friday, Joel's brother Andrew drove up from San Diego to spend some extra time with his parents. The four of us went to The Getty while Joel had to work.

The Getty is such a lovely museum here in LA. This was my third time and it's the perfect place to visit with out-of-towners. The grounds are spectacular, the view of the city is phenomenal, and it's home to some really, really incredible pieces. If you visit LA, I would highly recommend it!



 

 I cooked dinner for everyone on Friday since Saturday morning Joel ran his second ultra-marathon (33.4 miles). We left the house before dawn to watch the start of the race up in the mountains and it was a balmy 27 degrees.

And my husband was wearing a tank top (in case running 33 miles wasn't crazy enough).

The race took Joel a little over 6 hours, and we got to see him run at mile 13 and 20 before watching him  finish at 33.
  

 We insisted on taking his picture at mile 20 even though he huffed and puffed and reminded us that "this is a race"

 

Picture or no picture, he finished in the top 20 and then proceeded to drive us down to San Diego, because running 33 miles isn't really that big of a thing. I really hope our kids get his discipline.

Saturday night Andrew and Corie had everyone over for wine and Chinese, and even the non-marathoners were exhausted.
 It's a lot of work being a spectator. 

On Sunday we went to The Davis Cup at Petco Park in downtown San Diego.
 

The Davis Cup is an extra fun tennis tournament because each country gets a team of tennis players to play together as a team. The play single or doubles, but their points are totaled as a group.

 Because it's country based, the tournament, unlike most tennis tournaments gets a little more spirited than most.

 
We watched Andy Murray play Sam Querrey. 
They both played great tennis, but the USA ultimately lost and was dropped from the tournament.

After the game we went over to Joel's aunt and uncles house to watch the Superbowl. I think I probably watched 10 minutes of the game because it was just so dang boring.

Thankfully my sister-in-law is absolutely hilarious and kept me very entertained - so I really didn't care.
 

It was such a treat to get to spend so much time with Joel's family. It's hard being away from home so it's so appreciated when family and friends come out here to visit us.

 

We had so much fun, and by the time we got home on Monday I felt like a walking zombie! 

3 comments:

  1. Such a lovely family! We had wine and Chinese this past weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joel must be part superman. I mean who can run 33 miles? That's insane. Are his casual runs 10-15? I don't get it!

    Looks like you had a lot of fun with the family. I'm looking forward to seeing mine in a week!

    Not sure if I told you, but Santa ended up bringing me the Neverful. I like how you add scarves to yours. How often do you change them and do you try to match outfits?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Serious major props to Joel!! I'm having a problem running 4 miles right now. haha But that's mainly because we have a foot of snow and it's super chilly. As much as I LOATHE treadmills, I might have to go somewhere so I can run this week. :/

    ReplyDelete