10.03.2013

Carb Free Pasta (& Wine!)

AKA

Spaghetti Squash
 
Read all about it!
This squash should be every woman's best friend. It's basically pasta but contains 40 calories per cup (compared to 200 for regular noodles). SS for the win!

Here is my basic go-to for "spaghetti" and meatballs

 
 For Meatballs:
1lb ground turkey
1 egg
1/4c breadcrumbs
Italian Seasoning
Garlic
Thyme
Basil 
Salt & Pepper
**If you aren't trying to spare calories, go with a traditional meatball like this one

Pasta:
1-2 medium sized Spaghetti Squashes 

Sauce:
Your call!

Pre-Heat Oven to 400 Degrees 
1.For the turkey meatballs, mix together turkey, egg, breadcrumbs, garlic, Italian seasoning, basil, thyme, salt & pepper**

2. In an olive-oiled hot pan, ball up the mixture and cook for 3 minutes on 3 sides of each ball.

3. Pop into the over for 5 minutes to cook  

4. Simmer your pasta sauce in the same pan as you cooked the meatballs in. I add a few extras to jarred sauce (like extra garlic, basil, cheese, etc.)


5.  Pierce the squash with a knife and put in the microwave for 8-10 minutes. Once it's done, split in half and let it cool - it will be super hot! After 10 minutes of cooling, remove seeds and guts.
 

 6. In your serving bowl, "fork" off your noodles
 

7. Add the meatballs, sauce, and top with cheese and basil. Serve with a heavy red wine and enjoy your guilt free pasta night!

Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. You are SUCH a good wife, I am seriously impressed by this meal!

    I'm attempting to make my first real meal since marriage today. We'll see how that goes, and we're both working late so it'll be consumed before bed. #glam, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JM and I are *HUGE* spaghetti squash fans. Can you tell it's not real pasta? Of course. But it is an AMAZING substitute and really holds onto sauces well. I like doing it with fresh pesto sauce. Even Z tried it this summer and loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. spaghetti squash is one of my favorite things to make! i just tried a new recipe last week and made spaghetti squash au gratin.. it was delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tess!
    Newest follower here :) I love spaghetti squash too.
    Adorable blog as well. Hope you'll stop by mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Something abt this dish scares me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you did step by step pictures. I love doing recipes that way. This looks so good by the way and love that it's carb free!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like cooking with spaghetti squash, but I HATE cutting it in half. I now make Ryan do it. lol

    That's a good idea to put the sauce in the pan you cooked the meatballs in! :)

    ReplyDelete