8.08.2013

Homemade Red Curry

I have a love affair with Red Thai Curry. There is nothing better in my mind than take-out curry and a bottle of red wine on Friday after a long week.

In Chicago, our favorite spot was Thai Classic and now in LA we order from Emproium Thai.

                               That was, until I got really fancy and decided to make my own.
 
                      Friday night, I took my wine and the Frank Sinatra pandora station and got busy.


And it was so, so easy.

I looked up a few recipes and none of them fit exactly what I wanted, so I used their foundation but added my own twist.


Here are the goods:

not pictured: brown sugar, cayenne pepper, and salt

1 lb diced chicken
           Red Curry Paste (I used almost the whole jar, but we like it spicy)
2-3 cups of Coconut Milk
1 handful of sliced basil
2 peppers (ideally red, but TJ's only had 1 left) 
4 tablespoons of Fish Sauce 
1/2-1cup of water
2 cans of bamboo shoots
1 cup snow peas
1 cup frozen peas
2-3 teaspoons of brown sugar
Salt and Red Pepper to taste
 
 
1. Slice your peppers and set aside your veggies

 
2. Dice chicken into small chunks
 
 
3. Bring half the coconut milk and all the curry paste to a boil. Then drop in your chicken to cook for 5-7 minutes. 

4. Add the rest of the coconut milk, water, bamboo shoots, sugar, and fish oil and bring it back to a boil
 
 
5.  Stir in your veggies, add salt and red Cayenne pepper, cook for 10-15 minutes. 

At this point, I tasted, added in more milk, and then maybe a little more sugar, and then some more salt....I just tasted it until it met the flavor profile I like, so feel free to do the same.
 
6. Serve over Jasmine Rice with candles and wine.

 
and enjoy.
 
 

7 comments:

  1. Frank pandora is my go to cooking music too, also accompanied with a glass of wine! This recipe looks so yummy, I will definitely have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Thanks for sharing! I love Thai food and especially red curry! I make a mean Pad Thai!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM YUM YUM. And the Nat King Cole Pandora station is probably QUITE like your Frankie one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds exactly like what my kitchen is like: Wine & Frankie! This looks really yummy; I can't wait to try it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm. Thai red curry is literally my favorite meal and I make it at home all the time! Although, mine is never jjjuuuusssst right...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to have to try this! Yumm :)

    ReplyDelete