6.19.2018

A quick update

::: And I only used that title, because I felt like it probably doesn't do well to have two "life lately" posts back to back, but that's all I can really produce right now.

::: Joel was out of town for a week last week and you guys....it almost killed me. How do people do it? I was literally exhausted, overwhelmed, stressed, crazed, behind, and just plain DONE. 


::: While he was gone, I drove to Iowa with my in-laws to visit with the kids cousins and celebrate my girlfriend Lauren's wedding shower. We packed a ton in to a 24 hour visit - but it was so nice to see everyone and introduce Drew to some of my favorite people. 

 
 

 


::: It led us into Father's Day though, and it was a great reminder at how helpful Joel is as a dad, husband, and partner. I truly could not do it without him.


::: And gosh am I thankful for my dad - and my father-in-law. They both are such remarkable examples of good men, good fathers, and even better grandfathers, and we are SO lucky to have them in our lives. 



::: I'm happy to report Leo's swim lessons have been getting a TON better. We have been consistent at two times a week and not only is he getting much more comfortable in the water and with the instructor - I'm actually seeing some decent improvements! 


::: We've had lots of friends visiting - or moving (!!!) - back to Chicago, and this past week we drove into Elmhurst to hang with my darling friend Anne and her sweet sisters and their boys. 


::: My parents pool opened this past week, so we've basically been in pools every single day for the last three weeks. Joel said the other day about how I basically am packing and unpacking pool bags twice a day....and it's the damn truth. It's worth it, but there's a lot of steps and a lot of items for a simple hour trip to the dang pool.  

 


::: I did a little rearranging in our house. Our kitchen table was getting WAY to snug, and now that Drew is sitting at the table and eating with us, it just wasn't working out. We moved our dining room table into our main room, and stuck our small kitchen table in the dining room.



We will get a new dining room table in the coming months, but for now, it is SO nice to have a little more space to work with.  


And as much as I wanted to stage my house for these pictures, I literally have 6 more minutes and then have to pack swimming bags, so - this is what it really looks like right now.

::: Summer time in Crystal Lake is honestly the reason we moved here. There is so much to do, I can hardly keep up. Last week we made it to the "music on the lake" which they do every Tuesday night. We packed a cooler, met some friends (it got weirdly very cold) and had the best night. 

 


::: I got to spend the night in Chicago a few weeks back with my cousin Amanda to celebrate her 30th. She and I are only 4 weeks apart and the absolute best of friends, so I was happy that I got to have a little time with just her. 



::: Somehow our 5 year wedding anniversary is amongst us - and sadly, we really don't have too much planned. We are heading back to Iowa this weekend for another one of my friends weddings, so maybe our car ride without two crying kids will feel like a date? 

9 comments:

  1. Summertime in Crystal Lake looks like an absolute blast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so appreciate your honesty haha. You're not sugar coating how being a mom (of two very young ones) is chaotic and ridiculous, but also rewarding and fun sometimes. My youngest son (of 3 kids) is the same age as your son (and they literally look so much alike too which is weird), but I can promise it starts being more fun and less painful as they get older!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kristy - you’re totally right too. Chaotic but joyful. I may have to see a picture of your son!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excited for all the summer things now that we've officially moved to CL! Those concerts on Tuesday nights are definitely on our calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you are fitting in all the summer fun!! Doing the whole pool thing with two little ones is so much work; I do it with one and it just feels like so much laundry all the time. It is worth it though! Kudos to you for managing on your own, and also fitting in a long roadtrip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to know where you purchased those black sunglasses - I've been looking for a pair just like that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are Marc Jacobs - bought from Nordstrom, but they're actually brown (although I think they may come in black too!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I jsut say that I love that you didn't stage anything! I always try to see how you have your kitchen organized because our counter and cabinet layouts are oddly VERY similar. It's refreshing to see stuff out and being used because THAT'S LIFE. Also, I'd love to see a pool bag breakdown! We're gearing up for lots of pool and beach days, and I'm always curious to see if any other mamas have any tips or tricks that save them a little sanity :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katie - I really appreciate it. I love seeing other peoples actual life too, so I totally get it. I love that idea for a blog post.....I'll get working on it! Thank you!

      Delete